Short Info –
In ancient times, forts were considered as an ideal defense system. Forts that have survived today are representative of the engineering talent and strategic defense of ancient india.Today it is one of the wonders of the bygone era. Scholar Kautilya, popularly known as Chanakya the renowned author of his Sanskrit Arthsastra ancient Indian treatise on statecraft and Military strategy has classified forts into following types - Giridurga ( Hill Fort ), Jaladurga ( water fort ), Shiladurga ( Rock Fort ) and Vanadurga ( Forest fort ). Among the hill forts, Jamalabad is a hilltop Giridurga fortification in Jamalabad Village near Belthangady in Dakshina Kannada ( DK ) District of Karnataka. It is located in the Kudremukh range of hills. The fort lies at an altitude of 1700 ft.
The Fort was formerly called Narasimha Ghada, which refers to the granite hill on which the fort is built. It is also referred locally as Jamalagadda or Gadayikallu. Originally a mud fort existed on the hilltop. The Fort was reconstructed over the ruins of an older structure by Tippu Sultan in 1794 and named after his beloved mother, Jamal Bee. Tippu Sultan kept the fort in his possession for over 50 years.Though a local chieftain called Thimmappa Nayaka took possession of fort for a short period. The Fort was captured by the British in 1799 during the 4th Mysore War. As per legend, those who are not favorable to Tippu were hurled down this fort to their death.The fort is inaccessible other than via a narrow path, with around 1876 steps to the fort that are cut out of the granite hill and lead all the way to the top with the help of French engineers.This strategy would mean that through a narrow passage small but well-armed group could indefinitely block a much larger force from entering the fort. Inside the fort, there is only one tank to store water. Remains of a single cannon lie at the top
The fort is accessible via a narrow path with about 1800 steps cut out of the granite hill. Inside the fort, there is a tank to store rain water. Remains of a single cannon lie at the top. Nothing much of the fortifications remain but hints of the fort wall with parapets are visible. This hillock fort has one room at the top. There is also an unmanned microwave repeater station on top of the hill.The Summit affords superb views of the surrounding landscape with paddy fields, temples plantations, water bodies and the Kudremukh range of western ghats.
Duration: 2 Night/3 Days
Day 0: 9:30 pm. Start from Bangalore. Overnight Journey. 6 Hours.
Pickup Points will be decided based on the convenience of the entire group.
You can co ordinate with Trek leader a day before the departure.After the last pickup, the Overnight Journey of about 300 km begins with the headcount.
The trip leader will give a brief
Introduction about the trekking destination.
Day 01: 5:00 am. Reach Hathyadka Homestay in the morning.
You will be welcomed by our host
On your arrival, you can freshen up. After a brief acquaintance with the tour group, and Breakfast you will start the trek towards Gadayi Kallu or Jamalabad Fort carrying Pack Lunch.
As the vegetation thickens, you will notice that you are on a forest trail. Cross the rocky stream and follow the giant green trees which lead you towards fort complex.
You will come across endless beautiful meadows and forests while re. A 360-degree view of Kudremukh range, rivers in the valley and canon is a feast to eyes.You can rest and indulge in photography before starting on a walk back to Kukkave to rest the night at the base camp.
Day 02: 6:00 am.
You will wake up to the serene aura of surroundings this morning. After freshening up we start for Kadamgundi Waterfalls Trek
Trek to Kadama Gundi water falls.After lunch from Homestay. Overnight Stay.
Day 03: 6:30 am: Wake up. Trek to Water falls.
Breakfast and Journey towards Bangalore.
Reach Bangalore by evening
INCLUSIONS & EXCLUSIONS
INR 3750 + 5% GST
● Transportation (From / To Bangalore) by Tempo Traveler, Mini Bus Non /Ac
● Trek Fee
● Breakfast on Day 1 & Day 3
● Tea and Snacks Vegetarian on day 01 & Day 2
● Pack Lunch on Day 1
● Dinner on Day 1 and 02
● Stay in Homestay
● Monument entry fee
● Forest permits
● Sleeping bags
● Lunch during 03 Day and Tea / Snacks during journey
● Any other personal expenses other than Inclusions & GST
Cancellation and Refund applicable on the tour cost:
● If cancellation done prior to 15 days of outing 75% will be refunded.
● If done prior to 10 days of outing 50% will be refunded.
● After that no refund will be provided.
THINGS TO CARRY
● Headlamp with extra batteries
● Ankle Shoes/ or comfortable shoes with good grip
● 1 liter Water bottle or hydration pack
● Backpack 30 liter
● Rain coat/Poncho
● Dry fruits, energy bar, chocolates, energy drink, Snacks etc.
● Personal medication
● Sweater/ fleece jackets as nights would be cold
● Extra pair of clothes
● Toiletry kit
● Quick dry pants and cotton T-shirt as per Requirement
● Camera (optional)
● Sun cap
● Mixture of Tobacco and snuff solution or salt to avoid leeches
● Medical Aid
● Basic Medical Kit will be available with Trek leader for assistance
RULES & FAQ
● In mountains & jungles, smoking attracts honeybees and one has to face dangerous "honeybee attack" where survival of the person is difficult, hence smoking is strictly prohibited.
● Drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
● Leader's decision will be final and binding.
● Small Steps Adventures reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice.
● Telephonic confirmation for booking is mandatory; if unable to contact us then send a text message and we will call you back.
● Please do not carry handbags or Jholas or Sling bags on treks.
● Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewelry, etc. If carried, then we do not take any liability for the same.
Get regular event updates through WhatsApp:
Step 1 : Save this (77380 73691) number in your phone book as Small Steps Adventures.
Step 2 : Ping us your Name and Email Id on above saved number.
Congratulations you will receive regular event updates now onwards.